The Healthy Lifestyles Initiative provides PTAs with education and tools to partner with schools and advocate for healthy changes in nutrition and physical activity. In a healthy school:
- All foods, beverages and snacks sold or served meet National School Nutrition Standards.
- All students have opportunities to be physically active on a regular basis.
- All students have access to regular physical education.
- District wide wellness policies are developed, implemented and evaluated with input from students, parents, staff and interested community members.
What PTAs Can Do:
- Support Healthy School Meals
- Advocate for more physical activity and physical education in schools
- Establish School Wellness Policies
- Model positive health behaviors at your PTA meetings and fundraisers
- Participate in National PTA's Healthy Lifestyles Month
SHAC (School Health Advisory Council) is a school board appointed advisory group of individuals who represent different segments of the community. By law, a majority of the members must be persons who are parents of students enrolled in the district and who are not employed by the district. The AISD SHAC is made up of parents, community members, students, and school staff working together to improve the health of all students and families through coordinated school health programs. Visit Allen SHAC for more information.